My name is Elaine (Rei Lee) and I am a tatter from Korea where Tatting has become quite popular these days.
Many Korean tatters work hard to spread tatting lace in Korea and I have been tatting for about two years. Tatting is just great and fun! It makes my mind relax as I focus on counting double stitches. The outcome is also adorable.
I am a doodler so one day I wanted to draw a tatting pattern. But even with any painting application it was pain in the you know where. So I came to think that it will be great to have a tool that helps you to draw the tatting pattern. My hubby happens to be a programmer and I persuaded him to work on the tool. (and what a persuasion!) That is how this tool is born. The best thing about this tool is that it is FREE! and you don't need to install or purchase anything.
Currently <Tatting Designer> tool is on its early stage of development so its functions are very basic. But I believe one can draw quite decent doilies with rings and chains and picots. You can manipulate the chains to make creative very patterns.
Basically what it does is that there is an anchor point in the middle and as you make rings and chains the tool automatically copies them along the circle like kaleidoscope.
Click the above link to open the tool~.
This is how the tool looks. Very simple layout. Isn't it?
When you run the app for the first time, you can see the above screen.
Here are the brief description of the menus.
New - Create a new file
Open - Open existing file
Save - Save the file
Export as image - Save the pattern as .png image.
Undo - Cancel the last job
Redo - Redo the last job
Copy - copy the selected object
Paste - paste the copied object
Enlarge x2 - enlarge the canvas size twice
Fit to content - Crop the canvas size according to the pattern
1. Create Chain - Click on the icon and then click on the canvas to create the chain.
2. Create Ring
7. Zoom out
8. Zoom in
9. Background color - this is only shown on the screen. When you save the image it becomes transparent.
We are planning to add more functions such as text, josephine ring etc but the schedule is not set yet. Please add your comments below so we can keep them in mind for the future update.
1. This app does not require any installation and it is a web app using internet browser. (We highly recommend using Chrome)
2. Your pattern that you drew using the tool is only saved at your computer with the extension of *.xml
3. We don't hold any rights to your pattern.
4. This too is free but don't copy, reverse engineer or anything that would make us feel bad or regret that we ever made this. Oh please!
5. There is no text tool yet so you will have to use other tool to place text.